Sunday, June 17, 2012

John Palermo Game #3

Here's the third game.  This started as a QGD orthodox, and ended up as a draw with an interesting material balance.

I was correct to trade my queen for his rooks, but then messed up the tactics a bit and held on to my king by the skin of my teeth - he then made a mistake to give up a very strong passed pawn, but I didn't see how I could make progress and it ended up a perpetual check (mostly by choice).

Interesting game, for sure.

Question:
- Analyze the position after 17. Nd2.  I thought I had to be better, computer disagrees.  Interested to see what other people think, and why.
- Any good resources with a bunch of sample Q vs 2R endings?  That's the second time in two tournaments I've gotten that imbalance (had the Rooks both times) - drew this one, lost the previous one.

Opening analysis per Palliser's "Play 1.d4!"


1 comment:

  1. My take on the move 17 position: Black's pieces are more active and better coordinated; he also has an associated space advantage. The light-square bishop in particular is a superior minor piece. The pawn on e4 can be defended against whatever White can throw at it and can't be liquidated without creating a weak, isolated e-pawn for White. Likewise, the c5 pawn is well defended and it's not clear how to effectively go after it.

    Way to hang in there until the end, a draw (whether you've missed wins along the way or not) is still better than a loss (having missed wins along the way or not).

    ReplyDelete